Manchester United players offered to leave the team hotel and speak to anti-Glazer protesters on Sunday, meanwhile two more protests are planned in the coming weeks.
The Times reports that “further attacks” on the club are planned after fans successfully stopped the weekend’s crucial Old Trafford clash with Liverpool going ahead. Hundreds of fans managed to get into the ground and protested on the pitch, while the team’s hotel was surrounded.
United’s players were forbidden from going outside the Lowry Hotel. Some had “offered to leave the hotel to speak to the protesters”. The paper though says United’ security team vetoed the idea.
United’s fans planned the mass demonstration to protest against the Glazer’s ownership and their intention to take part in the European Super League. As many as 10,000 fans are understood to have been present on Sunday. And there are plans to make further demonstrations this month.
“It is understood that planning for more demonstrations is already under way. United’s next home game against Leicester on May 12 and the replay of the Liverpool match potential targets,” reads The Times.
There is still no new date for the rearranged Liverpool fixture.
The Manchester United Supporters’ Trust (MUST) have published an open letter to United co-chairman Joel Glazer.
MUST’s letter read: “Let’s be very clear that no-one wants what happened at Old Trafford yesterday to be a regular event.
“What happened was the culmination of 16 years in which your family’s ownership of the club has driven us into debt and decline. And we have felt ever more sidelined and ignored.”
Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Four key demands
The MUST letter has four key demands: increased supporter ownership; the appointment of independent directors to the board; the end of the two-tier share scheme; and consultation with fans over any future plans to take part in other competitions.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed on Sunday that one police officer was struck by a bottle.
Stu Berry, chairman of the GMP Federation, said: “Our brave colleague went to work to keep the people of Greater Manchester safe. And he ended up coming under attack. He is incredibly lucky not to have lost the sight in an eye.”
GMP said that a 28-year-old man had been arrested over the attacks, which left six police officers with injuries.
Meanwhile, GMP are investigating another incident outside the Lowry Hotel. One officer appeared to punch a protester repeatedly while being held down.
Manchester United have vowed to ban any fans found to have been involved in criminal or violent behaviour.
READ MORE: Premier League slam big six after announcing new rules to avoid future ESL
The post Players offered to appease fans, as two more Man Utd protests planned appeared first on TEAMtalk.