Liverpool release statement after Real Madrid team bus is attacked

Liverpool have released a statement and condemned the smashing of a window in a Real Madrid team coach and apologised for any distress caused.

Liverpool release statement after Real Madrid team bus is attacked

Liverpool release statement after Real Madrid team bus is attacked

A club spokesman said the behaviour “of a few individuals” was “totally unacceptable and shameful”.

Hundreds of fans lined Anfield Road, very few wearing masks or observing social distancing, to greet both teams as they arrived for the Champions League quarter-final second leg with a number setting off flares and smoke cannisters.

When one of Real’s buses parked up at the Kop end of the ground after the team had disembarked, it was apparent one pane of a double-glazed window had been smashed and Liverpool staff were seen cleaning up a pile of broken glass on the ground with Merseyside Police officers in attendance.

“We condemn unequivocally the actions that led to Real Madrid’s team bus being damaged during its arrival to Anfield this evening,” said a Liverpool spokesman.

“It is totally unacceptable and shameful behaviour of a few individuals. We sincerely apologise to our visitors for any distress caused.

“We will work together with Merseyside Police to establish the facts and identify those responsible.”

Real Madrid's team bus was damaged after being targeted by Liverpool fans near Anfield.

(via @ZanySebastien)pic.twitter.com/J9WACAELfE

— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) April 14, 2021

It is not the first time the opposition coach has been damaged in the build-up to a match at Anfield.

Three years ago Manchester City’s bus was hit by bottles and flares, ahead of another Champions League last-eight clash.

It caused so much damage City had to call for a back-up bus to take the players home after their 3-0 defeat that night.

On that occasion UEFA fined the club 20,000 euros (£17,000) for the damage as well as 6,000 euros (£5,200) for setting off fireworks and throwing objects.

Firmino admission Meanwhile, Roberto Firmino admits that he has endured a “difficult” season which has seen him drop below his best level.

The Brazil international has proved an integral player for the Reds ever since his 2015 arrival. In fact, manager Jurgen Klopp inherited the 29-year-old upon his appointment and has regularly hailed his input. However, aside from his 2017/18 haul of 27 goals, he has proved the most goal-shy star in Liverpool’s front three.

What’s more, Diogo Jota’s signing has cast further doubt among some pundits as to his longevity in the team.

Firmino has scored five goals and assisted six others in the Premier League this season. As such, he still sits below last season’s tally of 17 direct goal contributions.

But while a lack of form has affected almost all Liverpool players this season, Firmino is aware that he can be held partly responsible for the club’s slump.

“It’s been a difficult season for me,” the attacker told ESPN Brazil. “We have to be sincere, there’s no lack of hope for improvement.

“My desire is to evolve and grow every day. There’s no lack of motivation for me.”

window.dojoRequire(["mojo/signup-forms/Loader"], function(L) { L.start({"baseUrl":"mc.us2.list-manage.com","uuid":"0dbf0c85a1d332bd7bb792371","lid":"9014791a03","uniqueMethods":true}) })

READ MORE: Klopp tells Liverpool to focus on winning, not overturning deficit after naming bold XI

 

The post Liverpool release statement after Real Madrid team bus is attacked appeared first on TEAMtalk.