Liverpool are in talks with James Milner over an extension to his contract at Anfield.
The veteran midfielder will be out of contract next summer and will be free to negotiate a move with overseas clubs from January 1.
However, Jurgen Klopp still considers the 33-year-old a vital member of his squad and is keen to ensure he is tied down to fresh terms as soon as possible, reports Metro.
As per the report, it’s claimed Milner still feels he has an awful to offer at Liverpool, with the player capable of playing across the midfield and now considered first-choice back-up for Andy Robertson at left-back following the summer exit of Alberto Moreno.
Klopp admitted earlier this year that Milner was one of the most dedicated professional footballers he had ever worked with.
“There have not been many,” he told the Liverpool’s official website.
“I was blessed to have a few players like this; Sebastian Kehl, for example, at Dortmund was a more experienced player in a very young team and was a leader in that team, like Millie is. And I think Millie improved his football a lot in the last two or three years as well.
“His attitude is outstanding. Millie is a sports guy, in each sport he is doing he is brilliant. Without Millie it wouldn’t have been possible.”
It’s said that while there is yet to be an agreement reached, it’s believed the two parties are not a million miles apart and an announcement over an extension – likely to be for a further 12 months – could be reached shortly.
Milner made a total of 31 starts in all competitions last season and has made a total of 181 appearances in all competitions since arriving on a free transfer from Manchester City in summer 2015.
Meanwhile, Nabil Fekir has come clean on the real reasons behind the breakdown of his move to Liverpool in summer 2018.
Get the latest personalised Reds products on our new TEAMtalk Liverpool shop!
The post Liverpool act to prevent Klopp favourite walking away for free appeared first on teamtalk.com.